Tuesday, March 17, 2015

A Trip to London Part 4: the Sun Ra Arkestra

I was having such fun indulging my depraved lusts at the British Library that when I made it out to Cafe Oto in Dalston the Sun Ra Arkestra had started playing. You know these fellows, they are the continuation of the band who played with famous jazzer Sun Ra,who descended to Earth from Saturn at some point in the early 20th century before returning home in the early 1990s. Some of the Arkestra musicians played with Sun Ra himself (notably Marshall Allen, their leader). They play jazz which manages to be both forward-thinking and the kind of good-time music that older people could dance to if there was a dance floor. And they wear spangly capes. It was great seeing them somewhere other than a music festival. And although I was standing I was able to get close enough to see them properly and I was not *tired* like the last time I was standing at a concert in Cafe Oto. Top buzz.

image source (Sun Ra Arkestra in Cafe Oto, 2010, from a review by John Sharpe on the All About Jazz website, far more interesting than my brief comments above)


No comments: